Not gonna lie to you guys, I can’t believe I’m here, writing this post. 2017 was the year I started Word of Rachel, as a passion project, and I certainly never thought I’d keep it up, let alone take myself off of a WordPress free plan and go Self Hosted. It’s been one hell of a year. It’s not been a smooth ride, but it has been pretty amazing. My life, however, is not all about blogging. A lot has happened this year. My life is definitely moving forward. And as I try to remember what I’ve learned here, I’m looking back with a smile!
- Never let fear keep you from starting a blog. It’s not stupid, or posy, and it doesn’t make you better than anyone. It’s a great release and a great side hobby to have away from your real world stuff. Don’t let anyone bring you down over it.
- Don’t think blogging is easy! It takes hard work and dedication, and quite a lot of money to be successful.
- Being on the internet feels great at first but it’s a minefield. Don’t get involved in drama. Leave it alone if someone bothers you unless they paint you as something you’re not. I’ve been on both ends of the call-out culture this year. None of it is fun. Don’t let emotions overpower your intelligence.
- Numbers are not the be all and end all of blogging. It’s not worth it if you aren’t having fun.
- Be yourself. If someone doesn’t like it, they don’t have to interact with you.
- Learn from blogging mistakes. Don’t keep making them. Do not convince yourself you are always right just because someone tells you that you did nothing wrong.
- Don’t compare yourself to someone else. They may seem successful and you may want that. But people take years to get there and it requires hard work.
- Take breaks when needed. Blogging takes a lot of mental strength to keep up with the demand. It’s okay to admit you need time out.
- Never under estimate the power of a soft box. Seriously.
- Your photography game will get better. I’m improving all the time!
- Organisation. Pre planning. All essential!
- Buffer will save your life.
- Don’t fret about Instagram. Just have fun with it. Not having the numbers and trying to keep up with follows/unfollowers isn’t worth the stress. Forget about it!
This is officially my last post of 2017, and my next post will come on January 1st 2018, with an update on how I’m going to change things and move forward in my second year of blogging!
Did you have a good 2017? Let me know what you achieved in the comments!
Pinterest: @Word of Rachel